Dolphin Party Decorations : Beach Nautical Decor : Wall Paper Decorating.
Dolphin Party Decorations
- The process or art of decorating or adorning something
- A thing that serves as an ornament
- (decorate) make more attractive by adding ornament, colour, etc.; "Decorate the room for the party"; "beautify yourself for the special day"
- (decorate) award a mark of honor, such as a medal, to; "He was decorated for his services in the military"
- (decorate) deck: be beautiful to look at; "Flowers adorned the tables everywhere"
- any of various small toothed whales with a beaklike snout; larger than porpoises
- A dolphinlike creature depicted in heraldry or art, typically with an arched body and fins like a fish
- dolphinfish: large slender food and game fish widely distributed in warm seas (especially around Hawaii)
- Dolphins are marine mammals that are closely related to whales and porpoises. There are almost forty species of dolphin in seventeen genera. They vary in size from and (Maui's Dolphin), up to and (the Orca or Killer Whale).
- A small gregarious toothed whale that typically has a beaklike snout and a curved fin on the back. Dolphins have become well known for their sociable nature and high intelligence
- A bollard, pile, or buoy for mooring
- a group of people gathered together for pleasure; "she joined the party after dinner"
- an organization to gain political power; "in 1992 Perot tried to organize a third party at the national level"
- A formally constituted political group, typically operating on a national basis, that contests elections and attempts to form or take part in a government
- A group of people taking part in a particular activity or trip, esp. one for which they have been chosen
- A social gathering of invited guests, typically involving eating, drinking, and entertainment
Former James Hampden and Cornelia Van Rennselaer (aka Robb House)
Murray Hill, Manhattan, New York City, New York, United States
Built in 1889-92 for J. Hampden Robb and his wife Cornelia Van Rensselaer Robb, this elegant and imposing structure is considered one of the finest urban residences designed by Stanford White of the prominent architectural firm of McKim, Mead & White and was one of the earliest Renaissance Revival townhouses by White.
Articulated by White with an exceptional command of proportion and design, the building is composed with simple cubic forms which contribute greatly to its monumental character. The handsome tawny-orange Roman iron-spot brick facing complements the color of the boldly modeled brownstone base and matching tan brick and terra-cotta ornament. The richly-textured facades are beautifully detailed with a wealth of Renaissance-inspired ornament for which White is so justly renowned. Other notable features include the double-story entrance porch with paired corner columns, the beautiful iron balustrades, balustraded roof parapets, and the two-story oriel on the East 35th Street facade.
A significant reminder of the history of Murray Hill as an elegant residential district, the Robb house was praised by architectural critic Russell Sturgis as "the most dignified structure in all that quarter of the town, not a palace, but the fit dwelling house for a first-rate citizen." J. Hampden Robb, was a retired businessman and civic leader, who had a distinguished career in public service as a legislator and New York City Parks Commissioner. Acquired by the Advertising Club in 1923, the house served as the organization's headquarters until 1977 and was a gathering place for advertising industry and media leaders as well as notable politicians, business leaders, and entertainers. Subsequently, it was converted into a cooperatively-owned apartment building, and it remains in that use.
The area known today as Murray Hill is bounded roughly by 34th Street on the south, 40th Street on the north, Fifth Avenue on the west and Third Avenue on the east. Murray Hill took its name from the country estate of Robert and Mary Murray whose farm comprised a large hill. According to legend, during the Revolutionary War, Mary Murray invited the British General Howe and his troops to her house (which stood approximately at the corner of what is today Park Avenue and East 37th Street) for a meal, thus allowing General George Washington's army to escape to the north.
The character of the neighborhood was determined in 1847 when local landowners signed a covenant stipulating that only brick or stone houses of two or more stories could be erected in the area. Shortly thereafter, many homes of wealthy and socially prominent people began to appear along Fifth and Madison Avenues. The Gothic Revival villa of Coventry Waddell, had already been constructed on Fifth Avenue between 37th and 38th Streets in 1844. This, along with the Samuel P. Townsend mansion on Fifth Avenue and 34th Street, built in 1853-55, set the tone for future development. In the 1860s, A.T. Stewart purchased the Townsend mansion, to replace it with his own extravagant marble-fronted, mansarded dwelling. The choicest lots were soon occupied by the houses of families such as the Belmonts, Rhinelanders, Tiffanys, Havemeyers, and Morgans.
Eastward development of the neighborhood started after Lexington and Fourth Avenues were opened in 1848 and expanded further after 1852 when the New York and Harlem Railroad constructed a tunnel beneath Fourth Avenue in Murray Hill.3 Between 34th Street and 38th Street the tunnel was covered with a series of forty-foot-wide landscaped strips. This broad street with its grassy malls was renamed Park Avenue by real estate developers who hoped to market the neighboring house lots to the wealthy.
By the late 1860s several millionaires, including banker James Brown and railroad magnate Collis P. Huntington, had built mansions on the improved blocks of Park Avenue. The side streets and portions of Park Avenue were developed with rowhouses. (East 35th Street between Park and Lexington Avenues retains a number of houses from this initial development phase.) The neighborhood was also served by a number of churches.
In the late 1880s and 1890s, as commerce began to displace the fashionable residential quarter on lower Fifth Avenue, the centrally located Murray Hill section became increasingly desirable as a residential neighborhood.5 Many residences were either replaced or remodeled by prominent architects in the high styles of the day.
These included the English Renaissance house designed by Henry F. Kilburn for Helena Flint at 109 East 39th Street (1886-87), the Beaux-Arts alteration by Carrere & Hastings of an 1857 rowhouse at 117 East 35th Street for music publisher Gustave Schirmer (1894), and the Beaux-Arts townhouse at 123 East 35th Street (1901-03, a designated New York City Landmark) designed by Hoppin & Koen for banker James Franklin Doughty
Dolphins at John's Pass
ATLANTIC BOTTLE-NOSED DOLPHIN
Florida’s most common and delightful sighting for boaters and beachcombers, the average bottle-nosed dolphin is 9 feet long and weighs about 400 pounds. They travel through the Gulf and Bays daily consuming up to 15 pounds of fish per day. Bottle-nosed dolphin are highly intelligent and social marine mammals. They often travel in “pods”, or extended family groups. They communicate using a complex vocabulary of sounds often described as “squeaks, clicks, and whistles,” each individual having his own particular sound. Dolphins are seem to have a natural interest in humans, and reportedly have helped to rescue humans from drowning or shark attack. A wild dolphin may live up to 50 years, in contrast to the average life-span of those in captivity of just 6 years.
cheap wall decorations
decorative wall plate holders
decorative wall coverings
modern kitchen decorating
table settings decorations
top of cabinet decor
fly fishing decorations
texas flag decor
fantasy home decor